Baldwin

Baldwin, the county seat of Lake County, is located at the junction of M-37 and US-10. It is situated near the Baldwin River, a tributary of the Pere Marquette River. The Baldwin River is the site of the first planting of German Brown Trout roe in the United States on April 11, 1884. There are also over a dozen lakes within only five miles of the city limits, including Big Star Lake in Lake Township, and Leverentz and Government Lakes in Webber Township.

Baldwin is known for its specialty fishing lure and equipment shops, not to mention gift shops and antique stores. The town is the center of activity for the many resorts and cottages in the area. It celebrates its Troutarama Festival each summer and the Blessing of the Bikes each May.

First developed in the early 1870’s during the lumber era, Baldwin was originally (but unofficially) named Hanibal, after an early settler to the area. In 1872, the first store was built by Issac Grant, who called a committee to give the town an official name. They decided on "Baldwin City," after then Governor of Michigan, Henry P. Baldwin. It was given a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad in 1873 and became the County seat in 1874. It was incorporated as a village in 1887. Baldwin has an airport with three runways up to 5,200 feet long and a public library, the Pathfinder Community Library (231-745-4010).

 

 

events